Aromatic Ginger Tea
Notes: To crush the cardamom seed, smash it with a flat-bottomed glass. For iced tea, brew up to 1 day ahead, replacing the whole milk with water and substituting Darjeeling tea for the Assam; to serve, pour the tea into ice-filled glasses.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 110
- Calories from fat: 34%
- Protein: 4g
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 15g
- Sodium: 67mg
- Cholesterol: 17mg
- 1 quart milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 8 cardamom pods, hulled and seed crushed (see notes), or 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 8 Assam or orange pekoe tea bags or 3 tablespoons tea leaves
- 1. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium-high heat, combine milk, 1 quart water, sugar, ginger, and cardamom seed. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Add tea and simmer, stirring gently, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 3. Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand until tea is a dark reddish brown color, about 1 minute.
- 4. Pour through a fine strainer into a hot teapot.
- Nutritional analysis per serving with milk.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note