Aromatic Curry-and-Spice Chicken
Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast, about 1 cup sauce, 1/2 cup rice)
More From Southern Living
Amount per serving
- Calories: 436
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 9.2g
- Saturated fat: 1.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 45.2g
- Carbohydrate: 42.6g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Calcium: 91mg
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 6 (6-ounce) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, chopped
- 2 medium-size green bell peppers, chopped
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (3-inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Prepare rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Keep rice warm.
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper; set aside.
- Sauté chopped onions and bell peppers in 2 teaspoons hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute.
- Transfer onion mixture to a medium bowl; stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, tomatoes, and next 4 ingredients. Wipe skillet clean.
- Cook chicken in remaining 2 teaspoons hot oil in skillet over medium-high heat 6 minutes on each side or until browned. Pour tomato mixture evenly over chicken. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and simmer 15 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 minutes or until mixture is thickened and chicken is tender. Remove and discard cinnamon stick. Stir in cilantro, and top with almonds. Serve over brown rice.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes