I made this for Thanksgiving, to rave reviews. I added the stop of brining the turkey the day before, which decreased the cooking time to just under 3 hours for a 15 pound turkey. The gravy is easy to make and adds great flavor.l
Arizona Turkey with Chipotle Sauce
Chipotle chiles are dried, smoked jalapeños. If chipotles are unavailable, substitute dried ancho or pasilla chiles.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 6 ounces turkey and 1/4 cup sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 277
- Calories from fat: 14%
- Fat: 4.3g
- Saturated fat: 1.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 51.7g
- Carbohydrate: 4.2g
- Fiber: 0.6g
- Cholesterol: 142mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 251mg
- Calcium: 37mg
- 1 (12-pound) fresh or frozen turkey, thawed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 to 2 chipotle chiles
- 3 3/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Chile peppers (optional)
- Assorted herb sprigs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Starting at neck cavity, loosen skin from breast and drumsticks by inserting fingers, gently pushing between skin and meat.
- Combine cumin and next 5 ingredients (cumin through turmeric) in a bowl. Rub cumin mixture under loosened skin and inside body cavity. Tie ends of legs with cord. Lift wing tips up and over back; tuck under turkey.
- Place turkey on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray or on a rack set in a shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer into meaty part of thigh, making sure not to touch bone. Bake at 350° for 3 hours or until thermometer registers 180°. (Cover turkey loosely with foil if it gets too brown.)
- Combine boiling water and chipotle chiles in a small bowl; cover and let stand 30 minutes or until soft. Drain, discarding stems, seeds, and membranes. Combine chiles and 1/2 cup broth in a blender, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Remove turkey from oven. Cover turkey loosely with foil; let stand at least 10 minutes before carving. Place a zip-top plastic bag inside a 2-cup glass measure. Pour drippings into bag; let stand 10 minutes (fat will rise to the top). Seal bag, and carefully snip off 1 bottom corner of bag. Drain drippings into a medium saucepan, stopping before fat layer reaches opening; discard fat. Add 3 cups broth to drippings. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 3 cups (about 6 minutes). Stir in chile mixture, tomato paste, and Worcestershire sauce. Combine 1/4 cup broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk, and add to chile mixture in saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain mixture through a sieve over a bowl, and discard solids. Serve sauce with turkey. Garnish with fresh chiles and herbs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This