Not bad - left in the oven for an hour and the beef was very tender. Next time may replace the red pepper with carrots. Will make again.
Argentinean-Style Pot Roast
This is a simplified version of matambre, a stuffed, rolled pot roast from Argentina.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3 ounces steak and 2 tablespoons sauce)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 188
- Calories from fat: 43%
- Fat: 8.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 20.2g
- Carbohydrate: 6g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Iron: 2.9mg
- Sodium: 596mg
- Calcium: 23mg
- 1 (2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 small)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup Argentinean malbec or other dry red wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Cut horizontally through center of steak, cutting to, but not through, other side using a sharp knife; open flat as you would a book. Combine salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring well; rub surface of both sides of steak with salt mixture.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add spinach; sauté 30 seconds or until wilted.
- Spread onion mixture over steak, leaving a 1/2-inch margin around outside edges; fold top over onion mixture, and secure with wooden picks.
- Wipe pan with paper towels; place over medium-high heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes. Add wine and broth to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until steak is tender. Remove steak from pan. Cover and keep warm.
- Place pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes). Thinly slice steak; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with oregano.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note