- 1 (2-pound) flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion (about 1 medium)
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper (about 1 small)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup Argentinean malbec or other dry red wine
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- calories 188
- caloriesfromfat 43 %
- fat 8.9 g
- satfat 3.8 g
- monofat 3.7 g
- polyfat 0.3 g
- protein 20.2 g
- carbohydrate 6 g
- fiber 1.2 g
- cholesterol 48 mg
- iron 2.9 mg
- sodium 596 mg
- calcium 23 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350º.
Cut horizontally through center of steak, cutting to, but not through, other side using a sharp knife; open flat as you would a book. Combine salt, pepper, and paprika, stirring well; rub surface of both sides of steak with salt mixture.
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add spinach; sauté 30 seconds or until wilted.
Spread onion mixture over steak, leaving a 1/2-inch margin around outside edges; fold top over onion mixture, and secure with wooden picks.
Wipe pan with paper towels; place over medium-high heat. Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add steak to pan; cook 5 minutes. Add wine and broth to pan; bring to a simmer. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until steak is tender. Remove steak from pan. Cover and keep warm.
Place pan over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes). Thinly slice steak; serve with sauce. Sprinkle with oregano.