Yep, this was delicious. I made this as an entree, served with a mixed green salad and Firestone sauv blanc. Pretty much followed the recipe as written, except I added grilled corn on top after it had come out of the oven and I left the cheese off of my portion. I look forward to making this regularly.
Argentine Black Bean Flatbread with Chimichurri Drizzle
CATEGORY WINNER Starters and Drinks. "Years ago, friends from Argentina invited me for dinner and served an unusual and tasty tostada. I have adapted that recipe into this flatbread." -Erin Mylroie, St. George, UT
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 126
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 2.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 21g
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 2mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 248mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- 1/8 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water (100° to 110°), divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (about 13 1/2 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups Black Bean Spread
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Preheat broiler.
- Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 12 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into 16 strips. Set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 450°.
- Sprinkle cornmeal over a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Dissolve yeast and sugar in 1/2 cup warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add remaining 1/2 cup water, flour, and salt to yeast mixture, stirring until dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Roll dough into a 14 x 11-inch rectangle; place dough on prepared baking sheet. Spread 1 1/2 cups Black Bean Spread over dough. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 450° for 13 minutes or until crust browns and cheese is bubbly. Let cool 10 minutes.
- Combine parsley and the remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Drizzle parsley mixture over cheese. Cut bread into 16 squares; garnish each square with 1 bell pepper strip.
- Note: Nutritional analysis includes Black Bean Spread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note