I gave the written recipe 3 stars, however the final product that I made deserves 4. I made the pancakes by first making a traditional risotto (using wine and stirring in broth in batches). This helped the flavor significantly. Using just water like the recipe stated would have been much too bland for me. Although this way took longer, it helped the results greatly and I would make them again like this.
Arborio Rice, Parmesan, and Green Pea Pancakes
On the side, serve roasted red peppers with olive oil and chopped fresh thyme.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 2 pancakes)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 224
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 11.7g
- Carbohydrate: 26.4g
- Fiber: 2.7g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 677mg
- Calcium: 142mg
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup uncooked Arborio rice or other short-grain rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- Thinly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; cook for 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add rice; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add water and salt; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 15 minutes. Stir in peas and grated cheese; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes.
- Combine egg whites and egg in a large bowl. Add rice mixture, stirring until blended.
- Heat oil in a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spoon 1/2 cup rice mixture per pancake onto hot pan, spreading each to a 4-inch diameter. Cook 6 minutes on each side or until the bottoms are browned. Garnish with shaved cheese, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes