- 1 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups dry rosé wine
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split
- 1 piece (3-inch) lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 (large) plums, firm, ripe, pitted and halved, pits reserved
- 6 (large) apricots, firm, ripe, pitted and halved, pits reserved
- Sweetened crème fraîche, for serving
- Butter cookies, for serving
How to Make It
In a large skillet, combine the sugar, rosé, vanilla bean, zest, salt and fruit pits. Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
Discard the pits. Bring the liquid to a simmer and add the plums and apricots. Poach the fruit over moderate heat, turning a few times, until just tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Let the fruit cool in the liquid to room temperature, then refrigerate until chilled. Serve the fruit in bowls with some of its poaching liquid, along with crème fraîche and cookies.