Dough is good and flavorful-forget the slurry and just do it the regular way for pie crust but with 1/2 c butter. Toss the apricots with the sugar/cornstarch before placing in the crust. Save the jelly til the end and brush on the baked fruit/crust....the filling is too juicy when the jelly mixture is included during baking. Top with sliced almonds last 10 minutes for a nice addition.
Photo: Gentl & Hyers; Styling: Kendra Smoot
A little bit of almond flour (also labeled almond meal) makes the dough more tender. Look for it on the baking aisle or in the gluten-free section.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 271
- Fat: 8.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Carbohydrate: 47.7g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 121mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 6.2 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons), divided
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup turbinado sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 pounds firm ripe apricots, pitted and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Lightly spoon 1.1 ounces (about 1/4 cup) all-purpose flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine 1.1 ounces all-purpose flour, ice water, vinegar, and almond extract in a small bowl; stir with a fork until well blended to form a slurry.
- 3. Combine remaining 5.1 ounces (about 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, almond flour, and salt, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; stir just until moist. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead lightly 5 times. Gently press dough into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty plastic wrap. Cover with additional plastic wrap. Carefully roll dough into a 14-inch circle; freeze for 10 minutes.
- 4. Remove dough from freezer; remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Let stand 1 minute or until pliable. Place dough, plastic wrap side up, onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; remove remaining plastic wrap.
- 5. Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons sugar; sprinkle over dough, leaving a 2-inch border. Arrange apricots spokelike on top of cornstarch mixture, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold edges of dough over apricots (dough will only partially cover apricots).
- 6. Combine jam and honey in a small microwave-safe bowl; microwave on HIGH 45 seconds. Brush jam mixture over apricots and dough edges. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until crust browns. Remove from oven; sprinkle with thyme. Cool 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This