- 2 (16-ounce) packages dried apricots
- 12 medium oranges
- 1 large grapefruit
- 1 gallon water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups crushed pineapple, drained
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 9 cups sugar
- Place apricots in a large mixing bowl with water to cover; soak overnight.
- Lightly scrape outer skins of oranges and grapefruit with blade of a knife to release citrus oils. Peel oranges and grapefruit; chop rind (reserve pulp for other uses).
- Combine chopped rind, 2 quarts water, and soda in a large stainless steel saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Rinse well; drain.
- Add remaining water to rind mixture in saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Keep covered, and let rind stand in cooking liquid overnight. Drain well.
- Drain and mince apricots. Place in a flat-bottomed kettle. Add crushed pineapple, lemon juice, sugar, and orange and grapefruit rind, stirring well. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Boil, stirring constantly, until mixture registers 220° on a candy thermometer or until mixture sheets from a cold metal spoon. Remove from heat, and skim off foam with a metal spoon.
- Quickly ladle marmalade into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4- inch headspace. Cover at once with metal lids, and screw bands tight. Process marmalade in boiling-water bath 10 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Dips/Spreads