This pie is very good, the filling is very delicious. Just be aware that the name of this recipe "Applesauce Pie" describes this dessert well. The filling is like applesauce, it is not a firm apple filling.
Yield: 1 (9-inch) pie
- 10 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 large lemon, sliced and seeded
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 35 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat, and discard lemon. Add butter and vanilla; cool.
- Fit 1 piecrust into a 9-inch pieplate according to package directions. Pour applesauce mixture into crust.
- Roll remaining piecrust to press out fold lines, and cut into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over filling; fold edges under, and crimp.
- Bake on lowest oven rack at 425° for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden, shielding pie with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts