Photo: John O'Hagan; Styling: Buffy Hargett
More From Southern Living
- 2 Gala apples
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4.4-oz.) container blue cheese crumbles
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 (16-oz.) package thin bread slices*
- 1 (5-oz.) package arugula, thoroughly washed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Thinly slice apples. Heat chopped walnuts in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring often, 3 to 5 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Combine cream cheese, blue cheese crumbles, honey, and toasted walnuts until blended. Add freshly ground pepper to taste. Spread 1 side of each of 28 thin bread slices with 1 Tbsp. cream cheese mixture. Divide 1/2 of the arugula among 14 bread slices. Top with apple slices and remaining 14 bread slices, cream cheese mixture sides down. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter on a griddle over medium heat. Cook 7 sandwiches 3 to 4 minutes on each side until golden and cheese is melted. Repeat procedure with 1 Tbsp. butter and remaining sandwiches.
- Tip: If you don't have a griddle, omit butter, and cook sandwiches, in batches, in a lightly greased large nonstick skillet 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until golden and cheese is melted.
- *For testing purposes only, we used Pepperidge Farm Very Thin White Bread.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers