- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons salad oil
- 3 cups diced (1/2 in.) peeled yams (1 lb. total)
- 2 cups diced (1/2 in.) peeled, cored Granny Smith apples (8 to 9 oz. total)
- 3 cups fat-skimmed chicken or vegetable broth
- Plain low-fat yogurt or sour cream
- Salt and pepper
- calories 228
- caloriesfromfat 11 %
- protein 8.4 g
- fat 2.7 g
- satfat 0.4 g
- carbohydrate 44 g
- fiber 6.5 g
- sodium 81 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
In a 3- to 4-quart pan over high heat, frequently stir celery and onion in oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add yams, apples, and broth; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until yams are tender when pierced, about 15 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables and apples to a blender or food processor; whirl until smooth, adding enough cooking liquid to purée easily. Pour purée back into pan and stir over medium-high heat just until steaming, 2 to 3 minutes.
Ladle soup into wide bowls. Add yogurt, salt, and pepper to taste.