Awesome! Uses ingredients that we typically have on hand, comes out of the pan easily and looks beautiful, tastes delicious. Will definitely make this again! A great fall dessert.
Apple Upside-Down Date-Nut Gingerbread Cake
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 298
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Cholesterol: 28mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 80mg
- 1 tablespoon stick margarine, melted
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apple
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plain fat-free yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped pitted dates
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat bottom of a 9-inch round cake pan with melted margarine. Sprinkle brown sugar over margarine. Arrange apple slices spokelike over brown sugar, working from center of pan to edge; set aside.
- Combine flour and next 6 ingredients (flour through cloves) in a bowl; stir well. Set aside. Beat 1/4 cup margarine and granulated sugar at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended. Add molasses and egg; beat well. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with yogurt, beginning and ending with flour mixture; beat well after each addition. Stir in dates and walnuts. Pour batter over apple slices.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen cake from sides of pan, using a narrow metal spatula. Invert onto a cake plate; cut into wedges. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Apple Upside-Down Date-Nut Gingerbread Cake Recipe at a Glance