Best mashed potato recipe I've ever made! Subbed almond milk for the buttermilk and made the rest as directed. Served with Spice-Rubbed Salmon with Lemon-Garlic Spinach. Outstanding combination of flavors!
Apple-Turnip Mashed Potatoes
This rustic and delicious recipe has a chunky consistency.
Yield: Makes about 8 servings (4 cups)
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 bacon slices, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium-size Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup Roasted Garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Bring turnips, potatoes, and salted water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon. Sauté apples in hot drippings in skillet 6 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- 3. Combine apples, turnips, potatoes, Roasted Garlic, and thyme in a bowl; mash with a potato masher until blended. (Mixture will be chunky.) Stir in buttermilk and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
- 4. Serve immediately, or, if desired, microwave mixture at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring at 1-minute intervals. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving.
- Kitchen Express: Substitute 2 tsp. jarred roasted minced garlic for 1/4 cup Roasted Garlic. Proceed with recipeas directed, sauteing garlic with apples in Step 2.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This