Best mashed potato recipe I've ever made! Subbed almond milk for the buttermilk and made the rest as directed. Served with Spice-Rubbed Salmon with Lemon-Garlic Spinach. Outstanding combination of flavors!
Apple-Turnip Mashed Potatoes
This rustic and delicious recipe has a chunky consistency.
Yield: Makes about 8 servings (4 cups)
More From Southern Living
- 1 pound turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 bacon slices, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 medium-size Golden Delicious apples, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup Roasted Garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Bring turnips, potatoes, and salted water to cover to a boil in a Dutch oven; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. Cook bacon in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon. Sauté apples in hot drippings in skillet 6 minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- 3. Combine apples, turnips, potatoes, Roasted Garlic, and thyme in a bowl; mash with a potato masher until blended. (Mixture will be chunky.) Stir in buttermilk and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a bowl.
- 4. Serve immediately, or, if desired, microwave mixture at HIGH 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring at 1-minute intervals. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving.
- Kitchen Express: Substitute 2 tsp. jarred roasted minced garlic for 1/4 cup Roasted Garlic. Proceed with recipeas directed, sauteing garlic with apples in Step 2.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note