This was a fantastic Christmas morning breakfast treat! We tried half with nuts and half without, as my husband doesn't like nuts in his food. However, as much as I enjoy nuts in recipes, I preferred it without the nuts.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 12 Minutes
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 15.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.7g
- Protein: 11.1g
- Carbohydrate: 40.1g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Cholesterol: 137mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 246mg
- Calcium: 82mg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 4 cups sliced peeled Golden Delicious apple
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- Cooking spray
- 12 (1-ounce) slices cinnamon-swirl bread, cut in half diagonally
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, divided
- 1 1/2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon turbinado or granulated sugar
- 1. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apple and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to pan; sauté 8 minutes or until apple is tender and lightly browned. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 2. Coat an 11 x 7-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange half of bread in dish. Top with apple mixture; top with 1/2 cup pecans. Arrange remaining bread over pecans.
- 3. Combine the remaining 5 tablespoons granulated sugar, milk, cinnamon, and eggs in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour milk mixture over bread, pressing down to submerge. Cover and chill overnight.
- 4. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 5. Uncover dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup pecans and turbinado sugar evenly over bread. Bake at 350° for 48 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note