Yield: 1 loaf
- 1/2 cup milk, scalded
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter or margarine
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 3 medium apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup drained and chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Combine milk and 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons butter; stir until butter melts. Set aside to cool.
- Combine egg yolk and 1 tablespoon sugar in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add cooled milk mixture and flour to egg mixture, stirring well.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead 2 minutes. Cover dough with a warm bowl, and let rest 30 minutes. Roll and stretch dough into a rectangle as thin as possible without tearing.
- Place sliced apples evenly over dough, leaving a 1-inch margin around the edges. Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; spoon over apples. Sprinkle brown sugar, cherries, coconut, pecans, and 3 tablespoons melted butter over the apple mixture. Starting with short side, roll up jellyroll fashion, turning edges under. Pinch seam together to seal.
- Place roll in a well-greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking pan, and brush top with remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes; brush top with 1 tablespoon milk, and bake 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pan immediately, and cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts