Apple Stack Dessert
Make this great dessert even greater, and serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.
Yield: Makes 20 to 24 servings
More From Oxmoor House
- 14 sheets frozen phyllo pastry
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple (about 1 large)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- Thaw phyllo pastry according to package directions.
- Beat cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; add 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and beat until smooth.
- Toss apple with lemon juice. Stir in dates and pecans. Fold cream cheese mixture into apple mixture until combined.
- Unfold phyllo pastry on a lightly floured surface. (Keep remaining sheets covered.) Stack 4 phyllo sheets on a baking sheet, brushing between each sheet with melted butter and sprinkling evenly with additional sugar. Carefully spread about one-third of apple mixture over phyllo, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border around edges; repeat procedure twice, ending with apple mixture.
- Layer remaining 2 phyllo sheets, brushing with butter and sprinkling with sugar. Cut in half crosswise. Place 1 half on top of each other. Using a sharp knife, cut into 1-inch-wide strips. Place strips diagonally on top of apple mixture. (You may not need all the strips.) Fold over 1 1/2-inch borders of pastry, pressing gently to seal.
- Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note