Apple Slab Pie
Photo: Hector Sanchez; Styling: Heather Chadduck Hillegas
Baked in a jelly-roll pan, this rectangular pie feeds a crowd.
Yield: Makes 12 to 14 servings
More From Southern Living
Total: 3 Hours, 5 Minutes
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups ice-cold water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced (about 6 large)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup amaretto liqueur (optional)
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- Remaining ingredients
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 1. Prepare Crust: Stir together first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until butter is pea-sized. Gently stir in 3/4 cup ice-cold water until blended. Add remaining 3/4 cup ice-cold water, and stir until a dough forms. Shape into a ball, using your hands. (If dough feels dry, add up to 4 Tbsp. cold water, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until dough comes together. Butter should not be fully incorporated into dough; you will be able to see small butter pieces.)
- 2. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, and knead lightly 10 times or until dough begins to look smooth. Divide in half, and shape into two 7- x 5-inch rectangles. Wrap rectangles in plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Prepare Filling: Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add apples; cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high, and add cranberries and next 8 ingredients. Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and chill 20 minutes.
- 4. Assemble Pie: Preheat oven to 375°. Line a 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan with 2 layers of aluminum foil, allowing 2 to 3 inches to extend over short sides.
- 5. Roll 1 dough rectangle into a 20- x 15-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick) on lightly floured surface. Transfer to prepared pan, allowing dough to hang over edges. Gently press dough into corners of pan. Top with apple mixture. Chill until ready to use.
- 6. Whisk together cream and egg. Roll remaining dough into a 20- x 15-inch rectangle (about 1/4 inch thick) on lightly floured surface. Place dough over apple mixture. Trim excess dough from top and the bottom crusts; crimp edges. Cut slits in top for steam to escape. Brush with egg mixture.
- 7. Bake at 375° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes. Lift pie from pan, using foil sides as handles, and transfer to wire rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Note: Dough may be chilled up to 3 days or frozen up to 1 month.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This