This is a fantastic dressing recipe. I've made it the last 2 years and will be serving it again this Thanksgiving. The apples are a great compliment to this savory dish.
Apple, Sausage, and Walnut Dressing
Try a delicious combination--the salty crunch of walnuts and tart, sweet apple. Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 15 minutes; Stand: 10 minutes; Bake: 40 minutes.
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
- 1 pound mild ground pork sausage (casings removed)
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups peeled, chopped Granny Smith apple (about 2 apples)
- 12 cups cubed white bread (about 15 slices)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°. Brown sausage in a large sauté pan over medium heat, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. (Do not drain.) Add onion, celery, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add apple, and sauté 3 minutes or until apple begins to soften; transfer to a large bowl, and let cool 10 minutes.
- 2. Add remaining ingredients to sausage mixture, stirring until well blended. Spoon into a well-greased 13- x 9-inch baking pan. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until top is crusty and brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This