- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery, about 4 celery stalks
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, about 1 medium onion
- 4 cups chopped Fuji apples, about 3 apples
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 10 cup (1-inch) cubes from assorted whole-grain bread, toasted until dry
- 2 cups coarsely chopped cooked shelled chestnuts
- 2 cups cooked crumbled lean sweet Italian chicken sausage (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 1/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- calories 217
- fat 8 g
- satfat 3 g
- monofat 2 g
- polyfat 1 g
- protein 10 g
- carbohydrate 27 g
- fiber 3 g
- cholesterol 39 mg
- iron 2 mg
- sodium 434 mg
- calcium 43 mg
How to Make It
Preheat the oven to 350º. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Heat remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion; sauté 5 minutes. Add apple, parsley, sage, thyme, and rosemary; sauté 3 minutes.
Combine apple mixture, bread, and next 5 ingredients (through egg) in a large bowl. Add hot broth; stir well. (Mixture should be moist but not soaked.) Spoon into prepared baking dish. Dot with butter. Cover with foil.
Bake at 350º for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 25 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand 15–20 minutes before serving.