A good receipe with one exception. I always use apples with more tart, i.e. Granny Smith & often Pink Lady. Both, especially the Pink Lady provide the best balance of sweet with tart.
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 293
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 3.3g
- Carbohydrate: 50.1g
- Fiber: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 153mg
- Calcium: 10mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled Braeburn apples (about 8 medium)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Remaining ingredients:
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon 2 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 1/2 cup flour, ice water, and vinegar, stirring with a whisk until well blended to form a slurry. Combine remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, powdered sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist.
- Divide dough in half. Gently press each half into a 4-inch circle on 2 sheets of overlapping heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll 1 dough half, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Roll other dough half, still covered, into an 11-inch circle. Chill dough 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can be easily removed.
- To prepare filling, combine the apples and lemon juice in a large bowl. Combine 2/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over apples; toss well to coat.
- Remove top 2 sheets of plastic wrap from 12-inch dough circle; fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray, allowing dough to extend over edge. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Spoon filling into dough; brush edges of dough lightly with water.
- Remove top 2 sheets of plastic wrap from 11-inch dough circle; place, plastic wrap side up, overfilling. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press edges of dough together. Fold edges under, and flute. Cut 4 (1-inch) slits into top of pastry using a sharp knife. Brush top and edges of pie with egg white; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place pie on a baking sheet; bake at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350° (do not remove pie from oven), and bake an additional 40 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts