Notes: You can make this gratin up to 1 day ahead; cool, cover, and chill. Reheat, uncovered, in a 350° oven until warm, about 15 minutes.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 82mg
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- 1 1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples
- 1 1/2 pounds firm-ripe Bartlett or Comice pears
- 1 lemon (about 6 oz.), rinsed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 5 to 6 ounces anise or almond biscotti or shortbread cookies
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- Vanilla ice cream or slightly sweetened softly whipped cream
- 1. Peel and core apples and pears. Cut fruit lengthwise into about 1/2-inch-thick wedges; place in a large bowl.
- 2. Grate peel (yellow part only) from lemon, then ream juice. Add peel and juice to apples and pears, along with sugar, currants, and rum; mix gently. Pour into a shallow 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- 3. Place biscotti in a 1-quart zip-lock plastic bag and crush lightly with a rolling pin to make 1 1/2 cups coarse crumbs; pour into a small bowl. Add butter and cinnamon and mix. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over fruit. Pour cream evenly over topping.
- 4. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until fruit is tender when pierced and crumb topping is browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Let gratin cool at least 10 minutes; serve warm or cool. Scoop onto plates or bowls and top with ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts