Notes: You can make this gratin up to 1 day ahead; cool, cover, and chill. Reheat, uncovered, in a 350° oven until warm, about 15 minutes.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 9.9g
- Saturated fat: 4.8g
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Fiber: 5g
- Sodium: 82mg
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- 1 1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples
- 1 1/2 pounds firm-ripe Bartlett or Comice pears
- 1 lemon (about 6 oz.), rinsed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 2 tablespoons rum (optional)
- 5 to 6 ounces anise or almond biscotti or shortbread cookies
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- Vanilla ice cream or slightly sweetened softly whipped cream
- 1. Peel and core apples and pears. Cut fruit lengthwise into about 1/2-inch-thick wedges; place in a large bowl.
- 2. Grate peel (yellow part only) from lemon, then ream juice. Add peel and juice to apples and pears, along with sugar, currants, and rum; mix gently. Pour into a shallow 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish.
- 3. Place biscotti in a 1-quart zip-lock plastic bag and crush lightly with a rolling pin to make 1 1/2 cups coarse crumbs; pour into a small bowl. Add butter and cinnamon and mix. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly over fruit. Pour cream evenly over topping.
- 4. Bake in a 375° regular or convection oven until fruit is tender when pierced and crumb topping is browned, 30 to 40 minutes. Let gratin cool at least 10 minutes; serve warm or cool. Scoop onto plates or bowls and top with ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note