Baked this Galette as Christmas gift for friends. It was beautiful. They reported it "restaurant quality." Followed exact instructions using Empire apples, Bartlett pears, Pillsbury pie crust. Relatively easy for beginning galette baker. Great special dinner desert. Now to bake one for myself.
Photo: Miha Matei
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Real Simple
Amount per serving
- Calories: 378
- Calories from fat: 35%
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 59g
- Sugars: 27g
- Fiber: 3g
- Fat: 15g
- Saturated fat: 6g
- Sodium: 210mg
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more for the surface
- 2 9-inch refrigerated piecrusts
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons apricot preserves
- 3 Empire, Gala, or Cortland apples, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 3 Bartlett pears, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Heat oven to 350° F. On a lightly floured surface, place one piecrust on top of the other and roll the stack into one 16-inch circle. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Spread 1/4 cup of the preserves on the crust, leaving a 2-inch border.
In a large bowl, toss the apples, pears, flour, lemon juice, ginger, cinnamon, and 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Transfer to the crust, leaving the border clear. Fold the edges of the crust over the fruit mixture.
Brush the egg on the crust and sprinkle with the remaining teaspoon of sugar. Bake until the crust is golden brown and the fruit is tender, 50 to 60 minutes.
In a small saucepan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of preserves and 1 tablespoon water over medium heat until liquid, 2 to 3 minutes. Brush on the fruit. Serve warm or at room temperature.
To Bring It: The galette can be made one day ahead; just cover it tightly with plastic wrap. To prevent it from sliding around on the serving plate, dab some preserves in the center of the plate before placing the galette on top.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts