- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 teaspoon table salt
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 tsp. sugar, divided
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup cold shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 to 10 Tbsp. chilled apple cider
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges
- 2 1/4 pounds pears, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon table salt
- 1 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut into pieces
How to Make It
Prepare Crust: Preheat oven to 375°. Stir together flour, next 2 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. sugar in a medium bowl. Cut butter and shortening into flour mixture with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles small peas. Mound flour mixture on 1 side of bowl. Drizzle 1 Tbsp. cider along edge of flour mixture. Gently toss a small amount of flour mixture into cider just until moistened; move moistened mixture to opposite side of bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining 7 Tbsp. cider and flour mixture, adding up to 2 Tbsp. cider, 1 Tbsp. at a time, until a sandy dough forms. Shape dough into 2 disks; wrap in plastic wrap. Chill 1 hour.
Roll 1 dough disk into a 13-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Fit dough into a 9-inch glass pie plate; trim dough 2 inches larger than pie plate. Stir together egg and 1 tsp. water. Stir together 1/8 tsp. cinnamon and remaining 2 tsp. sugar. Set mixtures aside.
Prepare Filling: Toss apples with next 5 ingredients; let stand 15 minutes. Stir in cranberries; spoon into piecrust, mounding in center. Dot with 1 Tbsp. butter.
Roll remaining dough disk into a 13-inch circle on lightly floured surface. Place dough over filling. Fold edges under; crimp to seal.
Brush top with egg mixture, and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Place pie on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet; cut 4 to 5 slits in top crust.
Bake at 375° for 40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil, and bake 50 more minutes. Cool on a wire rack 2 hours before slicing.