- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium-size sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium-size Gala or Honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 6 cups organic chicken broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 medium-size russet potato, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 to 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Cheese Puff Pastries
How to Make It
Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over low heat. Add onions and next 2 ingredients, and cook, stirring often, 30 to 35 minutes or until onions are caramel colored. (Adjust heat to prevent scorching.) Add apples, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Add broth and next 2 ingredients. Increase heat to medium, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 20 to 25 minutes or until apples and potato are tender. Remove from heat, and let stand 15 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
Process mixture with a handheld blender until smooth. Add cream and lemon juice. Return to low heat; simmer, stirring often, 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Serve with Cheese Puff Pastries.
Note: We tested with Swanson Certified Organic Chicken Broth.