Apple-Molasses Drop Cookies
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, divided
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped peeled apple
- 2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- Grated lemon rind
- Cream shortening in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1/2 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Add molasses and 1 tablespoon lemon juice, stirring well.
- Sift together flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger in a medium mixing bowl; add to creamed mixture alternately with boiling water, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir well after each addition. Fold in chopped apple. Chill dough 1 hour.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets, and cool on wire racks.
- Combine powdered sugar, butter, and remaining lemon juice in a small mixing bowl; beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until smooth. Spread evenly over tops of cooled cookies. Sprinkle each with grated lemon rind.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note