Notes: Chef Eric Skokan at Gold Lake Mountain Resort and Spa in Ward, Colorado, serves this simple dish as a palate cleanser. Prepare through step 2 up to 3 hours ahead; cover and chill.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 68
- Calories from fat: 47%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 3.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Carbohydrate: 9.5g
- Fiber: 1.5g
- Sodium: 1.7mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Granny Smith apples (1 lb. total)
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1/3 cup finely slivered fresh mint leaves
- 8 butter lettuce leaves, rinsed and crisped
- Fresh mint sprigs
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart bowl, mix lemon juice with 1 quart water. Rinse apples, cut in half, and core; thinly slice lengthwise, then cut slices into matchstick-size slivers. As apples are cut, immerse in lemon water.
- 2. Drain apples thoroughly in a colander; return to bowl. Add orange juice and oil, and mix gently.
- 3. Just before serving, add mint leaves. Mix gently and add salt to taste. Place a lettuce leaf on each of 8 salad plates. Spoon apple salad equally onto lettuce leaves; garnish with mint sprigs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note