Wonderful almond flavor! I would have given this a "5" except I, too, didn't like the way the caramel mixture hardened to a shell, rather than being warm and gooey. But the galette itself was delicious.
Apple Marzipan Galette
Becky Luigart-Stayner; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Marzipan (sweetened almond paste) can be found with other baking ingredients in the supermarket. Look for it packaged in a small box or can.
Yield: 8 servings
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 291
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 9.4g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Protein: 1.7g
- Carbohydrate: 50.8g
- Fiber: 1.1g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Sodium: 119mg
- Calcium: 13mg
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated pie dough (such as Pillsbury)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup marzipan, softened
- 4 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apple (about 2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Dash of salt
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line a jelly roll pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Roll dough to a 14-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place dough on prepared pan. Roll marzipan to a 9-inch circle on a lightly floured surface. Place marzipan on top of dough.
- Combine apple, 1/2 cup sugar, flour, 3/4 teaspoon almond extract, juice, and salt in a large bowl; toss well. Spoon apple mixture over marzipan. Fold 2-inch dough border over the apple mixture, pressing gently to seal (dough will only partially cover apple mixture). Bake at 425° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned (apple filling may leak slightly during cooking).
- Place 1/4 cup sugar in a small heavy saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until sugar dissolves, stirring as needed to dissolve the sugar evenly (about 4 minutes). Cook 1 minute or until golden. Remove from heat; carefully stir in 1/4 teaspoon almond extract. Drizzle over galette.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Apple Marzipan Galette Recipe at a Glance