Delicious and fairly easy. To cut carbs and fat I made few reductions in ingredients with no discernible change in outcome: sugar in the cake cut from 3/4 cup to 1/2 cup, sugar in the apples cut from 1/4 cup to a generous Tbsp., butter brushed over the apples cut to 1 Tbs. The apricot preserves provided plenty of sweetness to the apples. Next time I will use four apples for a more generous topping.
Photo: Jonny Valiant; Styling: Deborah Williams
Yield: 15 servings (serving size: 1 square)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 251
- Fat: 11.4g
- Saturated fat: 5.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.3g
- Protein: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 35.1g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 185mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 3 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 6.75 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened and divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoons apple juice
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Combine apples and juice; toss. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; toss to combine.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and baking powder in a bowl, stirring well. Place remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 6 tablespoons butter, and cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, beating well. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating just until combined. Stir in walnuts.
- 4. Scrape batter into a 13 x 9-inch metal baking pan coated with cooking spray. Arrange apples over batter. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter; brush over apples. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until set.
- 5. Combine preserves and juice; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds or until melted, stirring once. Brush apricot mixture over apples; cool. Cut into 15 squares.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note