Notes: Serve with scoops of vanilla nonfat frozen yogurt.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 112
- Calories from fat: 3.2%
- Protein: 0.4g
- Fat: 0.4g
- Saturated fat: 0.1g
- Carbohydrate: 28g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 5.9mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- 1 lemon (about 1/4 lb.)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds peeled, cored Golden Delicious apples
- 2 tablespoons apricot-flavor brandy, brandy, or orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 1. Rinse lemon, slice off and discard ends, then cut fruit crosswise into paper-thin slices, and discard seeds.
- 2. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over high heat, bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add lemon and cook for 1 minute. Drain. Repeat step.
- 3. In pan, combine lemon and 1/4 cup sugar. Stir often over medium-high heat until liquid evaporates, 4 to 5 minutes; take care not to scorch fruit.
- 4. Cut apples lengthwise into 3/4-inch slices. In a 10-inch-wide (about 8-cup) round quiche dish or shallow casserole, snugly arrange apples in a single layer. Tuck lemon pieces among apple slices. Spoon brandy over fruit. Mix remaining 2 tablespoons sugar with nutmeg, and sprinkle evenly over fruit.
- 5. Bake in a 450° oven until fruit edges are tinged with dark brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
- 6. Stir apricot jam to soften; dot evenly over fruit.
- 7. Return dish to oven and bake until jam is bubbling, about 5 minutes. Spoon portions onto plates.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note