Prep and Cook Time: about 2 3/4 hours. Notes: Celeste Adams of Claremont, California, saves her chutney for holiday gifts. At altitudes of 1,000 to 6,000 feet, process jars for 15 minutes; above 6,000 feet, process for 20 minutes.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 26
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Protein: 0.1g
- Fat: 0.0g
- Saturated fat: 0.0g
- Carbohydrate: 6.9g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 23mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Canning Instructions
- 4 pounds sweet-tart apples such as Jonathan or Gravenstein
- 2 pounds red bell peppers
- 2 lemons (12 oz. total)
- 1 quart cider vinegar
- 4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1. Follow steps 1 through 4 of Canning Instructions, using seven pint-size jars.
- 2. Peel, core, and chop apples; you should have 2 1/2 quarts. Stem, seed, and chop peppers; you should have 1 quart. Cut off and discard peel and outer membrane from lemons. Finely chop lemons, discarding seeds; you should have 1/2 cup, including juices.
- 3. In an 8- to 10-quart pan, combine apples, bell peppers, lemons, vinegar, sugar, raisins, ginger, garlic, salt, and cayenne. Measure volume. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and stir often until mixture is thick and reduced by 1/4, 35 minutes to 1 hour.
- 4. Follow steps 5 through 11 of Canning Instructions, leaving 1/2 inch of headspace in each jar and processing jars for 10 minutes (see notes).
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per tablespoon.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note