Photo: Charles Walton; Styling: Trinda Gage
Eat these apple fritters hot with all the powdered sugar you can stand.
Yield: Makes 3 dozen
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 cups diced cooking apple
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil
- Sifted powdered sugar
- Combine first 4 ingredients; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg, milk, and butter, stirring well; stir in orange rind and next 3 ingredients. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls into hot oil; fry fritters in batches 1 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain fritters well on paper towels, and cool slightly. Sprinkle with sifted powdered sugar.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note