Apple Dumpling Pie
Photo: Antonis Achilleos; Styling: Elizabeth Blake
More From Allyou
Bake: 55 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 463
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated fat: 9g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 60g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 24mg
- Sodium: 249mg
- 3 pounds baking apples (about 7) peeled, cored, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup walnut halves and pieces
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 2/3 cup calvados (or other apple brandy)
- Pastry for double-crust pie (homemade or store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1. Place a rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 400°F. Mist a 9-inch pie plate with cooking spray and line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- 2. Place apples in a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, salt, cinnamon and 1 Tbsp. sugar; sprinkle over apples and toss to coat slices evenly.
- 3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When foaming subsides and butter turns light golden, add brown sugar and walnuts. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and walnuts are lightly toasted, 3 to 4 minutes. (Be careful: The mixture can burn easily.) Add raisins and stir to coat. Pour in calvados; it will bubble and spatter. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture becomes syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour mixture over apples and toss to coat.
- 4. Roll out half of dough into a 12-inch circle; press into pie plate. Spoon apple mixture into crust, mounding in center. Roll remaining dough into another 12-inch circle. Brush edge of bottom crust with water; gently place top crust over apples. Trim and crimp edges decoratively to seal. Cut a few slashes in top to allow steam to escape. Brush top with cream; sprinkle with 1 Tbsp. sugar. Place pie on lined baking sheet and bake until crust is golden brown and filling bubbles through top, 45 to 55 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes; serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts