This rustic fruit dessert can be made with pears or stone fruits in summer. Prep: 25 minutes; Bake: 45 minutes.
Yield: Makes 10 servings
- 10 Granny Smith apples (about 4 1/2 pounds), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups flour, divided
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, peeled and coarsely chopped*
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Topping: crème fraîche
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Toss together first 4 ingredients and 1/4 cup flour in a large bowl. Transfer to a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- 2. Pulse remaining 1 cup flour, brown sugar, and butter in a food processor until crumbly. Stir in hazelnuts, almonds, and salt. Sprinkle nut mixture evenly over apple mixture.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot or at room temperature with crème fraîche.
- *To peel hazelnuts, roast at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes, and rub in a towel while warm to remove thin skins.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note