Apple Crisp French Toast
Lonnie Spin knew that her experiment of French toast with peanut butter and yogurt was one ingredient shy of a culinary breakthrough. "I kept saying, 'You know what this needs - it needs apple.'" Sure enough, apples, grown by her uncle and thinly sliced, turned the dish into a family hit.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 626
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 21g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 82g
- Fiber: 4.5g
- Sodium: 596mg
- Cholesterol: 193mg
- 1 cup low-fat or nonfat milk
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 Granny Smith apple (about 1/2 lb.)
- About 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- About 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 12 slices egg or white bread (about 1 lb. total)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vanilla-flavor nonfat yogurt
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granola
- 1. In a shallow pan such as a 8- or 9-inch pie pan, whisk to blend milk, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- 2. Rinse apple, core, and cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices. In a small bowl, mix apple slices with lemon juice.
- 3. In a 10- to 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Dip 1 bread slice at a time in milk mixture, turn over, and transfer to frying pan without crowding. Cook each batch, turning to brown both sides, about 6 minutes total. As done, set in a single layer on a 14- by 17-inch baking sheet and keep warm in a 200° oven. Add remaining butter to frying pan as needed to cook successive batches.
- 4. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix 1/3 cup maple syrup with yogurt.
- 5. Also, in a 1-cup glass measure, mix remaining 1/3 cup maple syrup and peanut butter. Heat in a microwave oven at full power (100%) until warm, about 30 seconds, stirring once or twice.
- 6. Place 2 slices of French toast on each plate. Drain apple slices and lay fruit equally onto toast; sprinkle with granola. Spoon maple-yogurt and peanut butter sauces equally onto portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch