Leave the skins on the apples--they contribute flavor, body, nutrients, and fiber! Include some red apples in the mix and your filling will be a lovely, rosy color. If you're in a hurry, skip the apricots and oranges. The crisp is terrific warm or at room temperature, but it is especially flavorful cold, even after three or four days in the fridge (if it lasts that long!).
More From Health
- Calories: 313
- Fat: 13.5g
- Saturated fat: 5.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Protein: 3g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 35mg
- Calcium: 27mg
- For the topping
- 1/2 cup (2.25 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1.65 oz) rolled oats
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup (3.5 oz) sugar
- 5 tablespoons (2.5 oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- For the filling
- Grated zest and juice of 1 orange
- 1/2 cup (2.5 oz) coarsely chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (1.75-3.5 oz), depending on the tartness of the apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 7 medium apples
- Vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt, optional
- 1. Position rack in lower third of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Liberally butter a 2-quart, 2-inch deep baking dish.
- 2. To make the topping: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- 3. To make the filling: Combine orange zest, juice, and chopped apricots in small bowl. Let apricots soften while you prepare apples. Mix sugar and cinnamon in large bowl. Quarter and core the apples. Cut each quarter into 3 or 4 chunks. Toss the apples with the cinnamon sugar. Stir in the apricots and juice.
- 4. Scrape the mixture into the buttered baking dish and spread it evenly. Distribute the crumbly topping evenly over the apples. Bake for 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours, until the crisp is browned on top and the juices are bubbling and thickened. (If your apples were a little dry, you may not see any juices toward the end of the baking time; if so, the browned topping is your cue to doneness.) Serve warm or cold. Top with ice cream or frozen yogurt, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note