- 3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash of freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 7 cups sliced peeled Fuji apple
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Cooking spray
- calories 298
- caloriesfromfat 0.0 %
- fat 9.3 g
- satfat 5.5 g
- monofat 2.3 g
- polyfat 0.4 g
- protein 2.4 g
- carbohydrate 54 g
- fiber 2.7 g
- cholesterol 23 mg
- iron 1 mg
- sodium 141 mg
- calcium 37 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°.
Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, brown sugar, oats, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and, if desired, nutmeg, in a bowl. Add butter; beat with a mixer at low speed 3 minutes or until moist and crumbly.
Place apple in a large bowl; sprinkle with lemon rind and lemon juice, and toss well. Sprinkle with granulated sugar and remaining 1 teaspoon cinnamon; toss well. Spoon apple mixture into an 8-inch square glass or ceramic baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle brown sugar mixture over apple mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°.
Bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is crisp and brown. Let stand 15 minutes.