I am glad that I wasn't the only one who couldn't find the butter in this recipe!
Apple-Cranberry Crumb Pie
- 1 heavy cream to glaze pie edges
- Cinnamon Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup(s) unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup(s) light brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) salt
- 3/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tablespoon(s) unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon(s) ground cinnamon
- dash(es) ground nutmeg
- 8 medium apples peeled, cored & cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries
- SERVINGS: 6 to 8
- ACTIVE TIME: 30 min
- TOTAL TIME: 2 hours and 55 min (including cooling)
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- 2. To prepare the pie shell, on a clean, lightly floured work surface, roll out half a ball of dough with a rolling pin until it forms a 10-inch circle. Wrap the remaining half of the dough tightly in plastic wrap and reserve it in the refrigerator for future use for up to 5 days. Fold the circle in half, place it in a 9-inch pie plate so that the edges of the circle drop over the rim, and unfold the dough to completely cover the pie plate. Using your thumb and index finger, crimp the edges of the pie shell.Brush the edges of the pie shell with heavy cream to create a perfect, golden brown finish. Set the pie shell to the side while you make the filling.
- 3. To prepare the filling, in a small bowl, whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Place the apples in a large bowl and toss them with the sugar mixture, making sure all of the apples are thoroughly coated. Add the dried cranberries, mixing well to ensure they are fully incorporated into the apple mixture. Place the apple mixture in the pie shell, distributing it evenly. Sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar crumb topping over the apple-cranberry filling, covering it completely.
- 4. To prepare the topping, in a large bowl, mix together the flour, brown, sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Using a pastry belneder, incorporate the butter by "cutting it in" to the flour until the butter forms small, pea-size pieces. Pair this topping with the pastry pie shell and filling. Once the filling has been placed in the pie shell, sprinkle the cinnamon sugar crumb topping evenly over the filling until it is completely covered.
- 5. To bake, place the pie plate on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the heat to 375°F and continue baking for 40 minutes, or until the apples are tender. Insert a cake tester or a knife into the pie to check the firmness of the apples. If the apples are still firm, continue baking the pie until they soften. The perfect apple pie will have visible juices bubbling around the topping. If the topping is getting too brown and the apples are not done yet, cover the pie with aluminum foil to allow the apples to bake a bit longer without browning the topping too much.Transfer the pie plate to a wire cooling rack and allow the pie to cool and set for 1½ hours before serving. Apple pies are best served either at room temperature or warmed at 350°F for about 10 minutes.
- Cook's note: Apple-Cranberry Crumb pie will keep at room temperature overnight and can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by sandniel and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Apple-Cranberry Crumb Pie Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Pies/Pastries