Apple Cheddar Scones
Try these hearty scones or the equally delicious pear and Parmesan variation (below). Or experiment with your own (omit the apple and cheese from this recipe, and substitute your favorite combinations, sweet or savory)--then tell us about it online at myrecipes.com.
Prep: 15 minutes; Bake: 24 minutes.
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 2 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 1/2 cup lightly packed)
- 1 large peeled Granny Smith apple, shredded, pressed, and drained (about 3/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus more if needed
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Place first 3 ingredients in a food processor, and pulse to combine. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 2. Transfer to a bowl, and stir in cheese and apple. Add buttermilk, and stir just until combined. (Do not overstir.) If dough is still crumbly, stir in more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time, to bring dough together.
- 3. Knead dough gently several times with floured hands on a lightly floured surface. (Dough should just come together and not be sticky.) Pat dough into an 8-inch-diameter round, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into 8 triangles with a sharp knife, and place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- 4. Bake at 400° for 24 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before serving.
- Pear Parmesan Scones: Prepare Apple Cheddar Scones as directed, adding 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper to flour mixture and substituting 2 ounces Parmesan cheese (about 1/2 cup lightly packed) for Cheddar cheese, 2 peeled Bartlett pears for apple, and 3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons whipping cream for buttermilk.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note