More From Oxmoor House
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and diced (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat until melted. Add apple, and sauté 3 minutes or until just tender. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Heat shortening in a 9" cast-iron skillet in oven 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together cornmeal and next 3 ingredients. Whisk together milk and egg; add to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Stir in 6 tablespoons melted butter. Add sautéed apple and cheese, stirring just until combined.
- Pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until golden. Cut into wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads