This was a lot of work, but well worth it. I used a whole cup of apple and just used regular extra sharp cheddar instead of white. It went very well with a potato soup i made. I would make this again.
Apple-Cheddar Beer Bread
This savory quick bread pairs well with soup or chili and is ideal for an open house or casual get-together.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 151
- Calories from fat: 27%
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 21.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 265mg
- Calcium: 87mg
- 1/2 cup shredded peeled Gala apple
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 13.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extrasharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle hard cider
- Cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, divided
- 1. Preheat oven to 375°.
- 2. Place shredded peeled apple in paper towels; squeeze until barely moist. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook apple and shallots in oil over medium heat for 7 minutes. Stir in pepper and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- 3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; make a well in center of mixture. Add shallot mixture, cheese, and cider to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
- 4. Spoon batter into a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Drizzle 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake at 375° for 35 minutes. Drizzle remaining 1 tablespoon butter over batter. Bake an additional 25 minutes or until deep golden brown and a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pan 5 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Apple-Cheddar Beer Bread Recipe at a Glance