- 9 medium-size cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 3/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, divided
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 6 slices white bread, crust removed
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- Apple rose (optional)
How to Make It
Combine apples and 1 1/2 cups brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Arrange a layer of sugared apples in a 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish; dot with 3 tablespoons butter. Cut lemon slices in half. Arrange half of slices over apple mixture. Repeat layers, ending with apples. Dot with remaining butter. Sprinkle cinnamon over top. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until apples are tender.
Cut each bread slice into 4 triangles. Dip triangles in melted butter. Arrange on top of casserole; sprinkle remaining brown sugar over top. Broil until triangles are lightly toasted. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with apple rose, if desired.