Apple Cake with Caramel Glaze
Photo: Amy Neunsinger
Yield: Makes 16 servings
- 1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the dish
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the dish
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into a 1/2-inch dice
- 1 1/4 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- 2 1/4 vanilla extract
- Caramel Glaze (optional)
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Heat oven to 325° F.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the butter and the granulated and brown sugars until light and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, gradually add the flour mixture to the egg mixture. The batter should be very thick. Stir in the apples, pecans, and vanilla. Scrape the batter into a buttered and floured 9-by-13-inch baking pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack. Let cool for at least 10 minutes while you make the Caramel Glaze, if using.
- With a spatula, loosen the sides of the cake. If you want to remove it from the pan, invert it onto a baking sheet, then invert it again, right-side up, onto a platter. With a toothpick or fork, poke holes all over the surface. Pour on the warm sauce. Serve warm or at room temperature, with ice cream, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This