- 1 1/2 (16-ounce) loaves sliced rye bread (we tested with Pepperidge Farm)
- 3/4 pound coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1/2 small)
- 2 medium cooking apples, diced (about 2 1/4 cups)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted and divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Place bread slices in single layers on 2 baking sheets. Bake at 325° for 25 minutes or until almost crisp, using both racks in oven. Tear bread into small pieces, and place in a 4-quart bowl.
- Bring 8 cups water to a boil in a Dutch oven; add cabbage, and cook, uncovered, 3 minutes. Drain and immediately run cold water over cabbage; pat dry with paper towels. Add to bread in bowl, and set aside.
- Cook apple, onion, celery, and garlic in 1/4 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender, stirring often. Add apple mixture to cabbage; stir in salt and pepper.
- Pour cider and broth over bread mixture, tossing gently. Spoon mixture into a buttered 13" x 9" baking dish; drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup melted butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads