Very bland. It was definitely not worth the effort.
Apple-Butternut Squash Soup
Prep: 25 minutes; Cook: 50 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup)
More From Health
Amount per serving
- Calories: 264
- Fat: 9g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 42g
- Fiber: 9g
- Cholesterol: 4mg
- Iron: 3mg
- Sodium: 151mg
- Calcium: 162mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds butternut squash, halved and seeded
- 3/4 pound Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into eighths, plus more for garnish
- 2 onions, cut into wedges
- 2 3/4 cups quartered shiitake mushroom caps
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°. Spread oil in a 9- x 13-inch baking dish; place squash on half of pan, cut sides down. Arrange apples, onions, and mushrooms in 1 layer on other half of pan. Roast in middle of oven 45 minutes or until tender.
- 2. Remove from oven. Turn squash cut side up to cool. When cool enough to handle, purée squash in a food processor in batches with broth, Parmesan, garlic, half of the onions and apples, and three-fourths of the mushrooms until smooth. Transfer purée to a large saucepan.
- 3. Add remaining roasted apples and onions to pan with 1 cup water to reach desired consistency. Bring to a simmer. Ladle into 4 bowls, garnish with apple slices, remaining mushrooms, and pine nuts. Serve immediately.
- Time-saver alert! Make a double batch of this soup and freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Just thaw, heat, and serve for a last-minute dinner.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews