Apple Butter-Walnut Thumbprints
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 40 Minutes
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Parchment paper
- 1/2 cup Easy Apple Butter
- Caramel topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. Pulse first 5 ingredients in a food processor 10 times or until nuts are ground.
- 2. Beat powdered sugar and butter at high speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until combined. Add flour mixture, and beat at medium speed 30 seconds.
- 3. Drop batter by level tablespoonfuls 1 to 2 inches apart on 3 parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Dip finger in cold water, and press into each cookie, forming an indentation. Fill each indentation with 1/2 tsp. apple butter. Dip finger in cold water, and tap down peaks in apple butter.
- 4. Bake 2 baking sheets at 350° for 14 minutes, placing 1 baking sheet on middle oven rack and 1 sheet on lower oven rack. Rotate pans front to back, and top rack to bottom rack. Bake 4 more minutes or until edges begin to brown. Transfer baking sheets to wire racks, and cool completely (about 10 minutes). Repeat with remaining baking sheet. Drizzle caramel topping over cooled cookies.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note