Apple Brown Betty
A betty is a classic American dessert consisting of layers of spiced fruit and buttered breadcrumbs. We used whole wheat French bread to make the crumbs.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 144
- Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 2.8g
- Protein: 1.3g
- Carbohydrate: 26.1g
- Cholesterol: 11mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 89mg
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fiber: 2.1g
- Calcium: 20mg
- 1 1/2 cups coarse fresh whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 2 pounds McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons apple cider, divided
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Combine breadcrumbs, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, salt, granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter.
- Combine apple, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, remaining 1 tablespoon butter, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons cider, and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle half of crumb mixture in bottom of an 8-inch square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon apple filling over crumb mixture, and sprinkle remaining crumb mixture over apple; spoon remaining 2 tablespoons cider over crumbs.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note