This was easy and so delicious. I had chopped walnuts on hand so I used those instead of almonds. I will definitely make this again. Would be great for brunch. Next time I may try using thinly sliced pears with smoked gouda. YUM! I did make with pears and smoked gouda but made my own bread recipe. Great.
Apple-Brie Braid with Almonds
If Brie isn't the cheese for you, substitute your favorite kind. Cheddar, smoked gouda, or Swiss also would be nice.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 25%
- Fat: 4.7g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.1g
- Carbohydrate: 27.4g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 41mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 321mg
- Calcium: 43mg
- 1 (1-pound) loaf frozen white bread dough
- 2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, divided
- 4 cups finely chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons chopped slivered almonds
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces Brie cheese
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- Thaw dough in refrigerator 12 hours.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add apples; sauté 10 minutes. Add 1/4 cup brown sugar; cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in almonds.
- Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Spread apple mixture lengthwise down center of dough. Remove rind from cheese; cube. Arrange cheese on top of apple mixture. Make diagonal cuts, 1 1/2 inches apart, on opposite sides of filling to within 1/2 inch of filling. Fold strips alternately over filling from each side, overlapping at an angle. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Combine 1/4 cup brown sugar and flour in a medium bowl; cut in 1 tablespoon butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until combined. Sprinkle over top of loaf. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note