- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 3/4 pounds cooking apples, peeled, cored, and sliced (6 cups)
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, partially thawed
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- Vanilla Bean Hard Sauce (optional)
How to Make It
Combine first 4 ingredients; set aside.
Beat butter at medium speed of an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar; beat well. Add milk and egg; beat well. Stir in flour mixture; set batter aside.
Combine sliced apple and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine cornstarch and water. Add to apple mixture; stir well. Spoon apple mixture into a lightly greased 11" x 7" x 1 1/2" baking dish. Drop batter by spoonfuls over fruit mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 or 50 minutes or until golden. If desired, serve warm with Vanilla Bean Hard Sauce or ice cream.